Everything You Need to Know About Manitoba Statutory Holiday
Holidays observed in Manitoba’s General Holiday are the 8 holidays below:
- New Year’s Day
- Louis Riel Day (3rd Monday in February)
- Good Friday
- Victoria Day (the Monday preceding May 25)
- Canada Day
- Labour Day (first Monday in September)
- Thanksgiving Day (second Monday in October)
- Christmas Day
All employees are eligible for statutory holiday pay unless:
- They are absent from their last scheduled workday before the holiday*
- Do not work their first scheduled workday after the holiday*
- And do not work their scheduled shift on the general holiday**without the employer’s permission.
Those who consistently work the same amount of hours on a weekly basis receive a regular day of pay.
For example: if John works 40 hours a week, 5 days a week, at $20/hour. He is entitled to:
- 40 hours ÷ 5 days = 8 hours (1 regular day of work)
- 8 hours x $20 = $160 in General Holiday pay
For employees who work hours that vary, their General Holiday pay is calculated at 5% of their wages over the course of 4 weeks, preceding the Stat Holiday.
For example: in the last 4 weeks, Jessica has worked 120 hours prior to the stat holiday at the rate of $15/hour.
To calculate her stat pay:
- $15 x 120 hours = $1800
- $1800 x 0.05 % = $90 of General Holiday Pay.
For employees that work their scheduled shift on the actual day of the stat holiday, are also entitled to premium pay of 1.5 x their hourly wage. However, they must also attend their scheduled shifts before and after the holiday.
For example: in the last 4 weeks, Tom worked 140 hours at $22/hour. On a stat holiday, he works a scheduled 8 hour shift. To calculate his General Stat Pay and Work Pay:
- (140 hours x $22) x 0.05 = $154 General Holiday Pay
- ((1.5 x $22) x 8 hours) = $264 General Holiday Work Pay
- $154 (General Holiday Pay) + $264 (Work Pay) = $418 Tom’s Total Stat Holiday Pay
Alternatively, if employees receive regular wages on the holiday, they will be provided with a day off with general holiday pay (within the next 30 days) in return. If there is an agreement between the employee and employer, employees may also choose to take their day off at a later date.
Statutory holiday calculations are a breeze when they’re automated. Let us do the heavy lifting – contact Push Operations for further information on automating stat holiday calculations.