The Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA) is defined as eligible employers must provide employees with paid sick, expanded family and medical leave for COVID-19 related reasons.
What is the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA)?
Employers (businesses with fewer than 500 employees) are required to provide employees with paid sick leave or expanded family and medical leave for specified reasons related to COVID-19. These provisions will apply from the effective date of April 2020 through December 31, 2020.
- Businesses reduced/shutdown due to Covid-19 or
- have incurred greater than or equal to 30% drop in sales in comparison to the 2019 quarter
Who is eligible for the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA)?
- All employers with less than or equal to 500 employee
Provision based on leave reasoning.
Sick and family leave refundable tax credits for the Families First Coronavirus Response Act.
Eligible employers that pay qualified leave wages will be able to retain an amount of all federal employment taxes equal to the amount of:
- The qualified leave wages paid
- The allocable qualified health plan expenses and
- The amount of the employer’s share of Medicare tax imposed on those wages
The federal employment taxes that are available for retention by eligible employers include federal income taxes withheld from employees, the employees’ share of social security and Medicare taxes, and the employer’s share of social security and Medicare taxes with respect to all employees.
For more help understanding the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA) use these helpful links.
- https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/6201 - US Congress
- https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/pandemic - US DOL
- https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/pandemic/ffcra-employee-paid-leave - FFCRA Act Fact Sheet
- https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/pandemic/ffcra-questions - FFCRA FAQs
- https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus - IRS
- https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/sm952 - US Treasury Dept Press Release
- https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/WHD/posters/FFCRA_Poster_WH1422_Non-Federal.pdf - FFCRA Poster
Disclaimer: This is guide is provided by Push Technologies Inc. (“Push Operations”) for information purposes only. This is not an official or legal document and should not be taken as legal advice. Push Operations does not guarantee or warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information provided. For the most accurate and up-to-date information, please check with the proper governing authority.